On this past Friday I went to Bishop TD Jakes’ “Instinct” Book Tour ar Jericho City of Praise. If I had to sum it up in one word, that word would be AFFIRMING! There were quite a few things that were confirmed and reconfirmed for me. I departed with greater clarity, confidence, and commitment.
Bishop Jakes is a master communicator, storyteller, and teacher. I could go on and on about the words of wisdom he delivered including:
- Stop trying to be dynamic in someone else’s environment
- Get in an environment where people are living life
- Let the world know you’re here
Perhaps the two most powerful statements are these:
- “You ought to see my feet and know my vision” which means I am walking and working towards my goals and vision.
- “Our relationships are our greatest assets. In order to survive you need and mentor and a model.” Bishop Jakes used these words to explain that when you don’t have someone to teach you how to live you can learn to die. A mentor gives you instructions (recipe) and a model shows you want the finished product looks like (picture of food).
The only thing that I will add is that in addition to a mentor and a model it is also helpful to have an accountability partner. I have two accountability partners that are entrepreneurs with different focus areas and in different phases of entrepreneurship. Each person holds me accountable for following through on my action steps leading to my goals in different ways and at different intervals. Both are valuable assets as a travel this awesome journey.
Do you have a mentor, model, and accountability partner?
Nicki Sanders, Chief Visionary Officer of Packaged For Success, helps both youth and adults discover their personal power, dream big, and achieve success on their own terms. Ms. Sanders is an experienced trainer, group facilitator, and program manager who holds a Master’s degree in Social Work. Ms. Sanders has over fifteen years of direct experience with diverse populations in residential, school-based, and community based agencies.
© Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.