Successful people take action. They get up and get moving in the direction of their dreams. In order to achieve success, one must be able to seek out and take advantage of opportunities. But how do you effectively evaluate job, academic, business, housing, and even relationship opportunities?
A prerequisite for making wise choices or taking calculated risks is clarity. Once you are clear about what you want it is time to look for the best opportunity with which your efforts will soar. Once you are clear about your wants it is critical to get a clear picture of the opportunity. Ultimately, you are trying to determine if this opportunity will help you accomplish the personal goals you have for yourself. Here are six areas that you must evaluate:
- Background/experience – Ask yourself what this opportunity is all about and why it exists. You want to learn what the motivating factors are.
- Past/track record – Ask yourself if this is a new opportunity or an opportunity that has been in existence. You will want to determine is this opportunity has a favorable reputation.
- Connections/associations – Being aware of the people involved in the opportunity is essential. Consider whether you will benefit from being associated with the key players.
- Growth – Ask yourself if this opportunity has a short shelf life. You will also want to determine whether this opportunity has the potential to increase or mature with you.
- Match your interests and beliefs – It is important that opportunities match your interests and beliefs. You are more likely to succeed when you believe in an opportunity
- Instincts – Go through the 5 steps above but also trust your instincts. In most instances if something doesn’t “feel” right it isn’t right for you.
Preparation will allow you to distinguish which opportunities are worth your time. Once you arm yourself with the information you need to make a wise decision you will have the confidence you need to succeed.