1. Begin Each Day In A Positive Way – The way you start your day has a powerful impact on how you end your day. Set your intention on having a good day. Things won’t always go as planned but you can better manage the roller coasters of life when you begin on a solid foundation.
- Read, write, or speak a positive affirmation
- Write in a journal
- Write a statement of gratitude or achievement
- Listen to your favorite/motivational/inspirational song
- Visualize your dreams
- Write your goals for the day
- Do yoga or exercise
- Concentrate on your vision board
- Read a chapter in a good book
- Listen to positive affirmation or meditations
2. Tune Out Negativity – Make a conscious effort to eliminate more negative people, images, and words from your life each day.
Over a year ago I decided not to watch any news before going to bed. I soon realized that I was having a much more peaceful sleep. Then I decided that the morning news would not welcome me into my day. I felt better with that change as well. I was a news junkie but now I get the news in bits and pieces throughout the day from various sources and on my own schedule – I haven’t missed a major news event yet. For you, tuning out negativity could mean talking to that negative friend on the phone a little less, taking a different route to work, watching less horror movies or crime television shows, putting down the murder novel, or changing your radio station.
3. Tune In To What Brings You Joy – I believe that the more you are grateful for, the more things you have to be grateful for. Try to give your time and attention to things that make you happy and focus less on the stressors, disappointments, and fears of daily life.
In the last 6 weeks I have attended four funerals but I was also honored to be in the wedding of a very special friend. On Friday I decided to watch Good Morning America and the Sesame Street Muppets were on the set. I LOVE Sesame Street and it literally brought a smile to my face. When I went to the bank and the television set was on Power Puff Girls instead of the 24 hours news station I felt a warm sensation in my heart — I was grateful. (Power Puff Girls was one of my daughter’s favorite cartoons we watched together when she was younger and I cherish those good memories)
Related Post: Ask What’s The Best Case Scenario
Nicki Sanders, MSW, Chief Visionary Officer
The Teen Toolbox utilizes youth portfolio development and civic engagement and academic empowerment strategies to help teens set goals for life after high school and create a road map to reach those goals through its PACKAGED FOR SUCCESS™ Programs. We are committed to supporting and raising awareness about the needs and potential of teenagers in the foster care system.
© Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.