I have wanted a white 7 series BMW since I was in junior high school. Even after over 20 years of production of new models I still want the same car. No ifs, and, or buts – the white BMW 750Li is for me. I don’t want tinted windows or lots of chrome and I have the interior features all picked out. Contrast that decisiveness with my desire a few years to “live comfortably” which was followed by wanting to be “debt-free”. What does either of those things even mean? My subconscious didn’t understand what I was wishing for. I needed a specific number to aim for in order to hit the financial target. Now I know that wishful thinking rarely results in real results.
Clarity is essential to success!
- When we know most of the pieces of the puzzle we have less anxiety and frustration. The unknown can be a scary place.
- Foggy thinking or confusion keeps us stuck. We often stand still or wander aimlessly when we don’t know what we want to do or where we want to go.
- We are less likely to procrastinate or get off track when we know not only what we’re working toward but what the benefits are.
- When we are clear who we are and what we want we are less likely to allow other people’s fears, ideas and opinions to sway us from our purpose or goal.
I shared the car and money examples above to encourage you to give yourself permission to start small and also to remind you to build on past successes (you have the ability to transfer knowledge and skills across various life areas).
Think of one area of your life you want to work on or one thing you want to achieve or obtain. (You may want a lot but for this exercise please choose just one). Write that “thing” on a piece of blank paper and then answer the following questions.
- Is it a want or a need? What attracts you to it? What excites you about it?
- Why do you want it? Is it related to a struggle or something you have experienced?
- Do you know a lot about it or do you need additional information?
- How will your life improve once you have it?
- Do you know anyone who has it? Can you connect with them?
- What is one thing you can do today bring you closer to it?
Gaining clarity is an ongoing process. Review your answers often. You can also repeat this exercise with other areas of your life.
Are you ready to get clear?
Nicki Sanders, Chief Visionary Officer of Packaged For Success, helps both youth and adults discover their personal power, dream big, and achieve success on their own terms. Ms. Sanders is an experienced trainer, group facilitator, and program manager who holds a Master’s degree in Social Work. Ms. Sanders has over fifteen years of direct experience with diverse populations in residential, school-based, and community based agencies.
© Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.