It’s Back To School Time! Many young people are excited to return to school. They want to catch up with their friends and favorite teachers and show off their new back to school gear. Other students start the school year with a bit of apprehension. Children and teens in foster care are often unsure when or where they will start school and that can be terrifying. Frequent moves, emergency placements, and lost paperwork are often to blame.
Here are 8 things I never said as a student:
- My academic records haven’t arrived and school started last week.
- It gets old being the new kid again and again.
- A seasonal clothing budget from the state isn’t much cause for school shopping enthusiasm.
- I don’t want to tell these strangers my whole life story.
- This is my second time in this grade.
- They didn’t cover this in the math class at my old school.
- I forgot which bus will take me home.
- No use in getting comfortable because I might not be enrolled here at the end of the year.
What do you remember about back to school time?
Nicki Sanders, MSW, Chief Visionary Officer
The Teen Toolbox utilizes youth portfolio development and civic engagement and academic empowerment strategies to help teens set goals for life after high school and create a road map to reach those goals through its PACKAGED FOR SUCCESS™ Programs. We are committed to supporting and raising awareness about the needs and potential of teenagers in the foster care system.
© Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.