A mentor is a resource to help you avoid obstacles, shorten your learning curve and/or simply reach your goals faster than you would on your own. A mentor can serve as a sounding board or introduce you to your next boss or client.
January is National Mentoring Month. Do you have a mentor? Do you have more than one mentor?
Here are 5 tips for a successful mentor relationship:
- Mentors should have knowledge or experience in the area in which they are assisting you.
- You can have different mentors for different areas of your life – career, business, health, finances, or relationships.
- A mentor relationship doesn’t have to be a formal arrangement. Mentorship can take many forms – emails, phone calls, face to face meetings, or social activities.
- Select a mentor whose goals and values are similar to your own and who provides genuine guidance, encourage and constructive criticism.
- Clearly define your goals and stay focused on your end target.
Nicki Sanders is an experienced trainer, group facilitator, and program manager. She has packaged her Masters of Social Work degree and over 15 years of work experience into Packaged For Success, a training and professional development company. Packaged For Success provides career development coaching to college students and job seekers. Packaged For Success also offers communication and productivity improvement training for employees and supervisors as well as provides consultation on building sustainable, impactful, socially responsible corporate programs.
© Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.