You’ve gone through my Get Hired program and landed the job of your dreams. Now the real fun begins. How do you ensure that you perform well in your new position?
Here are 5 strategies to succeed in your new job:
1. Get Clarity – Meet with your immediate supervisor as soon as possible to review your job description and their goals and expectations for your work. This meeting will help you learn more about the organizational mission and the responsibilities of your coworkers. Do not be alarmed if this conversation reveals tasks that were not listed on the original job announcement.
2. Set Goals – Set your own individual achievement goals based on your job duties and your expertise. Be flexible about the time frame and manner in which you reach your goals. It is also important to flexible about your workload and work schedule.
3. Be Positive – Be upbeat and helpful. In turn, your coworkers will be more likely to help you and welcome you into the team. Optimism and a positive attitude can be contagious. No one wants to spend time with a pessimist.
4. Ask Questions – Do not be afraid to ask questions (of your supervisor and coworkers) to gain a better understanding of the agency practices, policies and procedures. There is always a learning curve for new employees. The more you know about your employer the better employee you can become.
5. Observe – It is extremely important to observe the office culture. Office culture means more than dressing a certain way or getting to meetings on time. Take time to observe how people connect and engage with one another so that you are aware of the unwritten rules, hierarchies, cliques, and politics. Respect authority and avoid negativity.
Nicki Sanders, The Packaged For Success Coach, is an experienced trainer, group facilitator, and program manager. She has packaged her Masters of Social Work degree and over 15 years of work experience into Packaged For Success, a training and professional development company. Packaged For Success provides career coaching to college students, entry-level job hunters, and experienced employees seeking a promotion. Packaged For Success also offers communication and productivity improvement training for employees and supervisors and provides consultation on building sustainable, impactful, socially responsible community programs.
© Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.