Think about this for a minute – it’s rather unlikely that anyone between the ages of 5-60 doesn’t know Scooby Doo. Many a human being would love to have similar success and longevity. How is it that Scooby Doo – a fictional character – has a career that has spanned decades?
Here a 5 reasons that Scooby Doo has the perfect career:
1. Adaptation – The “Scooby Doo, Where Are You” cartoon was launched in 1969 and the mangy mutt has remained relevant by adapting and morphing with his fans. When new trends and cartoon hit the tube, Scooby Doo spin-offs “A Pup Named Scooby Doo”, “New Scooby Doo Mysteries”, and “What’s New, Scooby Doo” were born. Adaptability and flexibility are valuable employee traits. Are you able to easily adapt?
2. Diversification – Scooby Doo is not just a cartoon character. He has multiple selling points – toys, books, clothing, movies (in theater and digital), and amusement park characters. You can even purchase your own Scooby Snacks. Take a lesson from Scooby and diversify your skills and experiences to increase your value to employers.
3. Branding – Scooby Doo has a strong, recognizable brand. He is consistent and predictable. Scooby is a frightened, hungry, talking dog who always finds himself in the middle of a mystery with his human friends. His laugh and “R” sound are unmistakable. In the midst of every scary adventure Scooby will be hungry and gobble up Scooby Snacks and any other meals available to him. Be just as intentional about the message and image you portray to the public.
4. Networking – A strong professional network is essential to a lasting career. Scooby Doo doesn’t travel without “the gang” of meddling kids. Scooby and the gang are always meeting new people and helping people in need. The group of young heroes has become friends with celebrity guest stars like KISS, The Harlem Globetrotters, and The Three Stooges. Scooby even teamed up with his nephew Scrappy Doo and the richest kid in the world Richie Rich. Remember your network can influence your net worth.
5. Self-Promotion – Scooby Doo is a veracious, mystery-solving master promoter. In addition to television shows on various channels and Scooby Doo merchandise available on his own website and in various retail outlets, when hunger hits Scooby eats his own brand of snacks and travels the country in The Mystery Machine. Scooby doesn’t shy away from the spotlight. In fact, at the end of every show you will hear him shout “Scooby Dooby Doo”.
You may also want to read:
– 5 Career Lessons You Can Learn From New Edition
– 5 Career Lessons You Can Learn From Reality TV Failures
Nicki Sanders, The Packaged For Success Coach, is an experienced trainer, group facilitator, and program manager. She has packaged her Masters of Social Work degree and over 15 years of work experience into Packaged For Success, a training and professional development company. Packaged For Success provides career coaching to college students, entry-level job hunters, and experienced employees seeking a promotion. Packaged For Success also offers communication and productivity improvement training for employees and supervisors and provides consultation on building sustainable, impactful, socially responsible community programs.
© Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.