It’s April – National Child Abuse Prevention Month and the kick off our our 3rd Annual Pack A Backpack Drive. We have a heart and a passion for all teens and a special call to raise awareness about the needs and potential of teens at risk of aging out of the foster care system without permanent connections.
Once again we are partnering with Coalition of Adoption Programs to celebrate National Foster Care Awareness Month in May. Our goal in this 3rd year is to collect and distribute 150 backpacks (messenger bags, duffel bags or luggage) with toiletries/personal hygiene items for teen males in foster homes, group homes, and homeless shelters. Only new and gently used bags will be accepted for our Pack A Backpack Drive.
Children and teens in foster care may move many times and often carry what little belongings they have in black garbage bags as they are shuffled from place to place. This is unacceptable.
Items needed for our Pack A Backpack Drive include: toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, dental floss, hand sanitizer, deodorant, soap, acne products, lotion, powder, shampoo, conditioner, shaving items, etc. We are also collecting disposable cameras and wallets.
Please contact me if you want to donate, become a sponsor, or host a drop off site.
If you want to collaborate with us by hosting a collection site for our Pack A Backpack™ Drive, here are 5 easy steps to Pack A Backpack™ collection success:
1. Select appropriate containers for donations and an accessible collection location.
2. Choose collection/drop-off dates and times.
3. Publicize Pack A Backpack™ — social media, canvas your neighborhood, post flyers at home, school, or work. Be sure to acknowledge your collaboration with Packaged For Success (The Teen Toolbox) and Coalition of Adoption Programs.
4. Sort through all donations at the conclusion of the drive — keep new and gently used backpacks; discard items that are not in good condition
5. Coordinate pick up and/or delivery with Nicki Sanders of Packaged For Success (The Teen Toolbox).
We are making a special appeal to men — hoping to connect with fraternities, sports teams, barber shops, churches, and other youth groups.
The last day to donate will be May 22, 2014. If you are traveling between now and May 22nd, please consider donating your unused hotel toiletries to our Pack A Backpack Drive™.
All packed bags will be delivered during National Foster Care Awareness Month (before May 31, 2014). PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!
Nicki Sanders, Chief Visionary Officer of Packaged For Success, helps both youth and adults discover their personal power, dream big, and achieve success on their own terms. Ms. Sanders is an experienced trainer, group facilitator, and program manager who holds a Master’s degree in Social Work. Ms. Sanders has over fifteen years of direct experience with diverse populations in residential, school-based, and community based agencies.
© Copyright Protected. ALL RIGHTS ARE RESERVED.